In the autumn of 1919, mathematician and physicist Zigmas Žemaitis came up with the idea of establishing a higher education school in Kaunas. The idea was endorsed by Tadas Ivanauskas, Augustinas Janulaitis, Jonas Vabalas-Gudaitis and Liudas Valionis, who formed an organisational group of initiators.
At the the same year, in the beginning of October, the organising group published a questionnaire in the newspapers, to which more than three hundred young people responded within three days, expressing their interest in attending the Higher Courses. The received feedback showed that many candidates (around 75%) “want to study natural and mathematical sciences and applied sciences, such as medicine and technology”¹.
This data helped the organisers to define the way forward for their activity. The group of initiators, invited by scientific and public figures, approved the idea of setting up the courses and elected an executive committee, which included Zigmas Žemaitis, Tadas Ivanauskas, Augustinas Janulaitis, Jonas Vabalas-Gudaitis, Jurgis Alekna, Kazimieras Vasiliauskas and Eduardas Volteris. This commission drafted the Statute of the Higher Courses, which was approved by the Ministry of Education on 5 January 1920, and set up a public organisation for the establishment and support of the Courses, it was called the Society of Higher Sciences².