If you wish to use the photographs published in the exhibitions, please write a free-form request to the Director of the KTU Library and obtain her permission.
THE BEGINNING OF THE UNIVERSITY OF LITHUANIA
The University of Lithuania is the predecessor of Kaunas University of Technology, it was founded on 16 February 1922, and it originated from the Higher Education Courses in 1920-1922. The name of the university was changed several times: in 1930 it was renamed to the Vytautas Magnus University, in 1940 to Kaunas University, in 1941 back to Vytautas Magnus University, and in 1944 it was renamed Kaunas State Vytautas Magnus University.
The University of Lithuania was opened before the Statute of the University of Lithuania was approved by the Constituent Assembly of Lithuania. The President of the Republic of Lithuania Aleksandras Stulginskis, by order, confirmed Prof. Jonas Šimkus as the Rector of the University of Lithuania, Prof. Jonas Mačiulis (Maironis) as the Dean of the Faculty of Theology, Prof. Augustinas Voldemaras as the Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences, Prof. Petras Avižonis as the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Prof. Zigmas Žemaitis as the Dean of the Faculty of Sciences and Mathematics, and Prof. Pranas Jodelė as the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering. On 24 March 1922, Constituent Assembly of Lithuania adopted the Statute of the University of Lithuania, which changed the structure of the University: The Faculty of Theology was reorganised into the Faculty of Theology-Philosophy (after the resignation of Prof. Dr. Jonas Mačiulius (Maironis), Prof. Pranciškus Būčys took over the leadership), the Faculty of Social Sciences was divided into two new faculties: Faculty of Humanities (Dean Prof. Mykolas Biržiška) and Faculty of the Law (Dean Prof. Petras Leonas). On 31 March 1925, following the publication of amendments to the Statute, the Faculty of Evangelical Theology was established under the management of Prof. Povilas Jakubėnas.