About the Library

Get to know the history of our Library and the most important facts since 1923.

 

History

Directors

1923 – 1944 Professor Vaclovas Biržiška
1944 – 1946 Professor Vaclovas Biržiška
1946 – 1948 Vincas Ruzgas
1948 – 1976 Stefanija Užkurytė
1976 – 1991 Genovaitė Romanovienė
1991 – 2014 Genė Duobinienė
Since 15 December 2014 Dr Gintarė Tautkevičienė

Titles

1923 – 1929 Library of the University of Lithuania (predecessor of KTU)
1930 – 1946 Library of Vytautas Magnus University
1946 – 1950 Library of Kaunas State University
1951 – 1974 Library of Kaunas Polytechnic Institute
1974 – 1989 Library of Kaunas Antanas Sniečkus Polytechnic Institute
From 1990 Library of Kaunas University of Technology

Projects

1998–1999 Participation in the user distance learning project DEDICATE (Distance Education Information Courses with Access through Networks).
2001 The project Concept of the LABT Development: Virtual Library of Lithuania was prepared by a team of authors.
2002–2004 Participation in the EC 5 FP project PERINE (Pedagogical and Educational Research Information Network for Europe) in cooperation with the Institute of Educational Studies (KTU).
2005–2008 The library participated in two ES SF projects Lithuanian Virtual Library and Creation of Full-text Databases and Accumulation and Presentation of Lithuanian Science and Studies E-Documents to Users.
2008–2009 Participation in the project “Libraries for Innovation” (coordinated by the Lithuanian Research Library Consortium): teaching the course “Internet resources and new library services” and developing the course “Internet resources for library visitors”.
2009 The premises of the first floor in the Central Library were renovated and the closed stack of the Rare Books Department was modernised.
2009–2011 Participation in the project  “EMoDB.LT: Opening of the Online Research Databases for Lithuania” (coordinated by the Lithuanian Research Library Consortium): the research “Assessment of Demand and Scope of Training Scientists and Other Researchers on the Use of Online Research Information” was carried out, training modules were developed and training sessions for researchers were held.
2009–2012 Participation in the EU FP7 research project OpenAIRE (European Research Open Access Infrastructure).
2010–2013 Participation in the project coordinated by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Lithuania “Developing and Implementing the Models for Higher Education Students’ Career Education and Career Monitoring, Qualification Development and Relevant Materials for Specialists in Vocational Orientation (Stage I).”
2010–2014 Participation in the national project on the Lithuanian traditions and heritage to commemorate the 300th anniversary of Kristijonas Donelaitis.
2010–2014 Participation in the project funded by the Research Council of Lithuania and the European Social Fund devoted to the development of international research database Lituanistika.
2011 Participation in the project coordinated by the Lithuanian Research Library Consortium “Let’s Encourage Open Access in Lithuania”: videos created, a survey carried out, the scientific conference “Let’s Open Scientific Knowledge to the World” organised.
2011–2014 Participation in the EU FP7 project OpenAIREplus (“2nd Generation of Open Access Infrastructure for Research in Europe“). 2013 Seminar “Open Access Infrastructure, Legal Issues and Continuity Ensurance” was held. Subsequently, the project application for Horizon2020 was developed and funding received for the project OpenAIRE2020.
2012 The project “Open Access from the Perspective of Young Researchers” funded by the international organization EIFL was implemented: a series of seminars (“Open Science: Why Does it Matter?“, “Intellectual Property, Creative Commons and Open Access“, “Why Open Access is Important for Researchers“) and the discussion “Development of Open Access in Lithuania” took place.
2014 Participation in FP7 project FOSTER: training sessions are carried out for researchers in Lithuania “Promoting Open Science among Young Researchers: Challenges and Opportunities”.
2015 LMBA coordinated the European social fund project “Opening of the Online Research Databases for Lithuania – Stage 2″ (VP1-3.1-ŠMM-02-V-02-004) carried out. “Continuous Research on Scientists and Other Researchers Need for Electronic Resources Usage” report was prepared by Gintarė Tautkevičienė and Zinaida Manžuch.
2015 In collaboration with LMT, MRU and LMBA KTU Library carried out EU 7th framework programme project FOSTER (Open Science Training for European Research) training sessions for Lithuanian researchers on open access “Promoting Open Science among Young Researchers: Challenges and Opportunities”. Project FOSTER training sessions were delivered to Lithuanian young scientists and researchers.
2015 Participation in Horizon2020 project “Open Access Infrastructure for Research OpenAIRE 2020″.
2018 Participation in Horizon2020 project “OpenAIRE Advancing Open Scholarship (OpenAIRE Advance)”.

 

Library history: dates, events, facts

1 January 1923 The Library of the University of Lithuania was founded.
1929 The Library was moved to the Main Building (currently Faculty of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities).
1930–1946 The Library was known as the Library of Vytautas Magnus University.
1934–1941 J. Tumas-Vaižgantas Museum was open to the visitors at the Library.
1937 The Library joined the international interlibrary loan service system.
1940 The Library had its branch libraries opened at the Faculties of Medicine (until 1950), Philology (until 1948), and Technology (currently the Faculty of Chemical Technology).
1943 Nazi invaders closed the University and took over the Library’s premises.
1944 The University and the Library resumed their activities.
1946–1950 The Library was known as the Library of Kaunas State University.
1950 The University was reorganized into two separate institutions – Polytechnic and Medical Institutes. The Library’s premises and majority of the books and periodicals came into possession of Kaunas Polytechnic Institute.
1951–1974 The Library was known as the Library of Kaunas Polytechnic Institute.
1953 A library branch was opened at the Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture.
1956–1969 The Library had its branch at Vilnius Faculty. Later, it was handed over to Vilnius Civil Engineering Institute (currently Vilnius Gediminas Technical University).
1961–1991 The Library had its branch at Klaipėda Faculty. Later, it was handed over to Klaipėda University.
1962–1997 The Library had its branch at Šiauliai Faculty. It was handed over to Šiauliai University.
1963 A library branch was founded at Panevėžys Faculty (currently Panevėžys Faculty of Technologies and Business).
1965 A lending department was founded at the Machine Building Faculty (currently Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Design).
1969 A library branch was set up at the Radioelectronics Faculty (currently the Faculty of Informatics).
1974–1989 The Library was known as the Library of Kaunas Antanas Sniečkus Polytechnic Institute.
1978 The Rare Books Department was founded.
1984 A branch library was set up in the new premises of the Faculty of Design and Technologies (currently the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Design).
1987 Prenumerata – a computer program for subscription to periodicals was installed.
1990 Since 1990, the Library has been known as the Library of Kaunas University of Technology.
1993

Since 1993 the database Publikacijos (Publications) covering the scientific publications by the University staff has been used.

The Central European conference-exhibition on Information Science and academic libraries Information Users in the 21st Century was held at the Lithuanian Technical Library. The  Library of the University was one of the organizers of that event.

1995–1999 An integrated library information system CICERO (DANTEK, Denmark) was functioning at the Library. In 1997, the circulation module was implemented at the Central Library.
1996 Since 1996, the search for information in the global databases is available at KTU Library.
1999 In accordance with the project of the Lithuanian Academic Library Network (LABT), the integrated library information system ALEPH 500 (Ex Libris, Israel) was installed.
2001–2004 The premises of the Central Library (1st floor) were renovated, a contemporary Reading Hall was opened.
2002 The library of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering was moved to the new premises in Kęstučio Street, its Reading Room was provided with open access and computer-equipped work places.
2004 The new database Elektroninės tezės ir disertacijos (Electronic Theses and Dissertations) went into operation.
2004–2005 The library of the Faculty of Chemical Technology was renovated and the Internet Reading Room was opened.
2005 The library of Panevežys Institute was moved to the new premises, its Reading Room was provided with open access and computer-equipped workplaces.
2006

The library at the Faculty of Electrical and Electronics Engineering was renovated: its Lending and Reading Rooms were incorporated into one space, open-access shelves were arranged, computer-equipped workplaces provided, and the security system 3M was installed.

The Library of the Faculty of Design and Technologies underwent renovation: its Reading Room was provided with open-access and computer-equipped workplaces.

2008 Database Electronic Academic Library of Lithuania (eLABa) went into operation.
2009 The premises of the Library of Faculty of  first floor at the Central Library were renovated and the closed stack of the Rare Books Department was modernized.
2009–2011 The premises of the Library of the Faculty of Civil Engineering (currently Library of the Faculty of Civil Engineering) were renovated, as well as the Library’s website; the open stack was developed and the security system implemented.
2013 The project on the renewal and development of the Library in line with the Resolution on the renewal of the Research and Study under University’s Renovation Programme for 2013–2014 No. V7-T-6 approved by the Council of Kaunas University of Technology on 28 March 2013 and the Resolution No. V-3-S42 of the Senate of the 4 July 2013.
2014 Dr Gintarė Tautkevičienė became EIFL Open Access coordinator in Lithuania.
2015 Research information services department was established, the Cataloging department was reorganized to the Cataloging Group and merged with the Acquisition Department.
Since 2015 KTU PDB records of Lithuanian research and study e-documents made available at the Lithuanian Electronic Library eLABa.
2017 The reading room of the Mechanical Engineering and Design Faculty is renovated.
February 16, 2018 The Library hosts activities celebrating the Centennial of the restored Independence of Lithuania “Yellow, Green and Red”.
We are using cookies to provide statistics that help us give you the best experience of our site. You can find out more or switch them off if you prefer. However, by continuing to use the site without changing settings, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
I agree